Monday, September 25, 2006

The Adirondack 540

Here are some random thoughts about the race/my training

On September 15th and 16th I raced in the Adirondack 540, a 544 mile bike race. My goal was to qualify to participate in the Race Across America (RAAM) in June 2007. I not only qualified for RAAM, I won the race, completing the course in 32 hours 16 minutes, beating the existing course record by 42 minutes.

In preparations for the Adirondack 540, I followed a periodized training program designed to peak just before the race. I started my base training early in December, riding on the roads when I could and on the snowmobile trials (with my Mt bike) when the roads were too messy.

After base training, I started concentrating on longer and longer rides, gradually getting up to 300+ mile training rides. I then started doing double long rides, 200+ miles on Friday and Saturday. A favorite route was to cycle from my home, up to the White Mountains, over the five gaps and then cycle home (I would do the gaps twice on a 300 mile ride). A less favorite ride, but very effective training ride, was to cycle from my home to the Green Mountains in VT. This loop included the dreaded Lincoln Gap, which at 30%+ grade, is the toughest thing I have ever climbed.

I did speed work once or twice each week, riding a fast paced training ride with a group of Cat 1,2,3s each week, time trial training rides and the occasional race. I credit these workouts for the speed at which I was able to complete the ADK 540. In all, I logged about 9,500 miles and about 600 training hours (including non cycling workouts).

I showed up to the start line for the Adirondack 504, with the intention of breaking the record. I knew I could maintain 17-18 miles an hour for 300+ miles. What I didn’t know was how fast I could go for 500+ miles, but I had a plan. I was pretty sure if I kept my heart rate out of the red zone (177+ bpm) and kept fueling (450 cal hr), I could ride forever. I also had no intention of sleeping, or stopping for that matter. I knew from doing a couple of 24 hour mt bike races that I could function ok without sleep. I told my crew before the race, if my wheels weren’t turning, we needed to work quickly to get them turning again.

I went out fast on the first lap, “some dogs can’t help but chase cars.” With other racers around, I couldn’t help but put the hammer down a bit. I went right to the front, and set out to put some space between myself and the other competitors. I averaged about 19 miles per hour on the first lap and put 45 minutes between me and the next competitor.

I did get a little scare, when I stopped for a quick maintenance break on lap one and Mark Pattinson, who was doing the two lap race went zooming by. I quickly asked my crew to give me my bike and proceeded to chase Mark down. When I got beside him, I asked him how many laps he was doing; he said two, crisis over.

After the first lap, I settled down some, knowing that I couldn't keep up a 19 mile an hour pace for the entire 544 miles. I got into a grove and ticked away the miles one peddle stroke at a time, sustaining myself on Hammer Sustained Energy, Gel, Ensure, and Cokes supplied by my able crew (Lisa, Brad and Jim.) The last 12 hours I spent doing time splits in my head to be sure I was going to break the record.

My overall impression on the event was great. I thought it was well run and a great introduction to Ultra Cycling. I am so glad I hung out after the race and had a chance to really meet and talk with the other participants. I didn’t realize how much RAAM experience was there and I received a lot of great advice and encouragement.

Return to:
  • http://teamwalker07.com/



  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home