Saturday, November 04, 2006

Extreme Week

This has been a week of extremes. At the beginning of the week, I was in Phoenix, Arizona for a conference. Where I had the opportunity to go mountain biking, I also rented a road bike so I could keep up with training.

My training week started on Sunday with a road ride, with two other Commonwealth reps, Charlie Hoffmann and Jim Butler (I will put their picture up once Charlie sends me the file.) Thinking about taking a cycling vacation around Phoenix?...Don’t. It’s straight, it’s flat and the only thing to keep you awake is the constant stream of SUVs and pickup trucks passing within inches of your left elbow. If that’s not enough to entice you, try the five flats we got from cactus needles on our 60 mile loop. A good time was had by all.

I will say the mt biking was better than the road riding. At least it was more fun. I rode with Peter Wheeler, Chris Cole, Dan Tucker, and a fourth whose name I have forgotten. We rode in the McDowell State Forest (didn’t see a single tree.) The trials are not at all technical but they did provide a bit more variety than the roads.

I flew home early in the week and finished up with a 102 mile loop here in New Hampshire. It was 27 degrees and there was snow on the ground. BTW: I rode back up to Eastman Hill (the hill Phil and I found a couple weeks ago) so I could ride is North to South. It’s no Lincoln Gap but it is comparable to the first mile of Mt. Kearsarge. A good time was had by all.

Here are the important stats for the week:


Highest Temp: 93
Lowest Temp: 27
Total Hours: 16
Total Miles: 261


More pictures from Arizona will be posted on the picture page of teamwalker07.com.



Return to: http://teamwalker07.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home