Sunday, May 20, 2007

900 Miles in The Bag

3,044 miles to go!

Last weekend was my official training peak. I started my training year back in October, with the goal of, one month before the start of RAAM, doing three back-to-back 300 hundred mile rides. Last weekend was THE weekend.


I took a winding 300 mile loop, that went over to VT, up the Connecticut River Valley and then east into the White Mountains, climbing Pinkham’s notch, the Kanc and the ever popular Gonzo's Pass. Click here to see the route: http://teamwalker07.com/twphotos/Training%20in%20NH/photos.htm


I rode the 300 mile loop unsupported on Friday and Sunday. Saturday was designated as a crew practice day. Brian G, Patty, Brad C, Lisa and my mom took turns following me, navigating, handing off food bottles and driving the RV. The crew practice went well and it was quite the luxury not having to carry 18 hours of food, spare tubes, and tools. I had two flats over the 900 miles, one on Friday and one on Sunday. Just as you would expect, on Saturday with a crew behind me carrying spare wheels, I did not have a single flat.


(Patty putting a fresh bottle on the bike)

On Friday I had more than just a simple flat. With 100 miles left in the day, the sidewall gave out on my rear tire and I had to complete the two biggest climbs (and decents) hoping that the duct tape repair would hold. It held and I finished the first day at around 9 p.m. (All hail the mighty duct tape.)

Saturday morning I was up and on the road at 2 a.m. The first 105 miles was a chore, as there was a steady headwind out of the North, doing it’s best to slow my progress. The rest of the day went well and I was home, once again around 9 p.m.

(Lisa filling up the cooler)

Day three, I was out the door at 2:20 a.m., not a good start to the day. Starting late meant I would be on the road until 9:20 that evening. Throw in a flat tire, stronger headwinds, fridged temperatures (mid 30s), and I wouldn’t finish the day until after 10 pm. (For a short video clip of me going over the kank on day 2, about mile 530, click here http://teamwalker07.com/twphotos/Video/slides/White%20Mountain%20Training%20-%20Kangamangus%20Hwy,%20NH.htm)

Overall a successful training weekend, I kept myself evenly paced throughout the three days, completed the planned workout and felt pretty good all three days. My nutrition was spot on, the crew did a great job and my legs never refused any request.


Now starts the most important and in some way the most difficult stage of training – taper. During the final four weeks leading up to RAAM, my main goal is to rest and recover, doing just enough riding to maintain my fitness. It’s too late to worry about what I could have or should have done. The dye is cast and we will find out on June 10th whether I followed an appropriate training schedule or not.

Last night, the RV left with my bikes, spare wheels, parts, and supplies. I spent the last two days, sorting, cleaning and packing everything up. In two weeks, I fly to AZ and meet up with the camper. I will spend some time soft peddling in the desert, in hopes of acclimating to the heat. As predicted in my RAAM bio, we haven’t had any real warm days here (well maybe one.) While training I have risked hypothermia much more than heat exhaustion.
I am both happy and sad to have completed my training. RAAM has been the biggest focus of my life for the past year and a half. Now that it is almost completed, I am not sure what to do with myself. I also look back with some guilt at the time (and money) I have taken away from my family. Thank you Lisa for your patience and support. I definitely couldn’t have done this without you.

I would also like to thank everyone who has stepped up to help me. This has been a true team effort, with people chipping in to do what needed to be done: from crewing, to writing press releases, designing our logos, maintaining our website, providing advice and guidance, and the many product and financial sponsors.

(Brad ready for a shift change, sorry mom and Brian G no pic)

I would also like to thank those of you that have donated to our charity, Special Olympics NH. We have raised $8,466 so far for this great cause. If you are interested in contributing click here: http://www.firstgiving.com/TEAMWALKER07.

Thank you Team Walker 07!

Brett

The end.

Return to: http://teamwalker07.com/

2 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger brittanybrittany said...

Good luck Brett!

We are rooting for you!

Best,
Firstgiving

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Mark Longwell said...

Brett- make New England proud. I did two man RAAM in 2004- it is an awesome race. Best of luck as you leave California in 6 and 1./2 days....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home