Monday, November 20, 2006

Return to Gonzo’s Pass

Last week was about riding in the rain. Speed bursts in the rain, hill work in the rain, and recovery rides in the rain and I was prepared to spend 7 hours riding in the rain on Friday. When I went to bed Thursday night they were predicting showers for Friday morning. I had a long ride planned and I was going to do it, regardless of the weather.

I woke up Friday morning and was pleasantly surprised to find that the storm had moved out quicker than expected and now the day looked dry and more importantly warm. What a joy, riding on dry roads in 60 degree weather. I decided to take advantage of this treat and headed north, up to the Whites. I peddled up to Lincoln on the rolling roads that parallel interstate 93 (127/132/175), then headed south on 118 over Gonzo’s pass. (As Phil would say this is a “bread and butter” route.)

Here is the Route: Over Gonzo's Pass

I enjoyed the climb up Gonzo, but something didn’t seem right without Dave Wentworth along for the ride. Before Dave ran away to California, he and I climbed Gonzo many-many times. Every time we would promise each other that we wouldn’t sprint for the town line at the top of the pass, (who would want to sprint after a 5 mile climb?) but every time, one of us would make a move and we would expend whatever energy we had left trying to beat the other one to the green sign. I am happy to say, I did get the town line on Friday.

I am convinced that the cold takes a big bite out of my speed. I have been struggling to average 16+ mph on many rides these past few weeks. I don’t know if it’s the extra gear I have on, breathing the cold air, or some other factor, but the cold definitely slows me down. With the mild temperatures on Friday, I was able to complete the 127 mile loop in 7 hrs 5 min, at an average speed of 18+ mph.

My RAAM bike arsenal is complete. I recently purchased a Trek Y Foil from Bike Man and I think it is the perfect bike for RAAM. The Y Foil is an all carbon, beam style bike (it has no seat tube). It is very aerodynamic, light and comfortable. Trek only made these bikes for two years before they were outlawed for racing by the UCI. I will post photos of the Y Foil, as soon as Brian is finished tricking it out with new aero bars, double crank set and carbon seat post. At least I will look fast.

The off the bike RAAM stuff is starting to come together. I have most of the crew signed up, although we do have room for a couple more. I have reserved the vans that we will use for follow vehicles, and hotel rooms at the start of the race. My brother in-law and sister in-law (Kim and Ed) have agreed to drive the RV out to the west coast for me. I will meet up with them a week before RAAM in Arizona, so I can spend some time easy peddling in the desert, in hopes of acclimating to the heat. Lord knows we won’t have had any hot days here before June 10th.

Getting corporate sponsors is going slowly. I have sent out a bunch of letters and emails. Most have been completely ignored; some have received a polite “thanks but no thanks.” I have just decided to not worry about it. I will send out the letters. If something comes of it great, if not, so be it. I will be on the start line on June 10th no matter what.

The one big exception is BIKEMAN.COM. Davis Carver, owner of Bike Man has offered me anything on his website for cost. This is huge, as it will allow me to get properly equipped for RAAM. I encourage you to check out Bikeman.com, their prices are very competitive and they are just a great group of people.

So far we have raised $2,905 for Special Olympics New Hampshire. There is still a ways to reach the goal of $25,000 so please give early and often.

Return to: http://teamwalker07.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home