Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Return of Pinky and Chief

Well it has been a while since I updated my blog. So I thought I had better take a minute and let you know how things are going. So here are a few of the highlights and lowlights from the last month:

Dave Wentworth (aka Pinky) and Terry Roach (aka Chief) were in town over the Christmas holiday. I was able to get together with both of them and take a couple of rides before Terry headed back to Texas and Dave returns to California. It was just like old times. (Ask me sometime about the jackass that tried to run us off the road in Dunbarton and then stopped to let us know that cyclist don’t belong on the road. I wanted to rip his head off.)

RAAM training is progressing very well, although last week was a struggle. I had a small cold and I didn’t feel really sick but it did take a toll on me when I would go out for a ride. Last Friday I rode from my house to Conway, over the Kanc and Gonzo’s pass. It is a 174 mile loop that in the past I have done in just over 10 hours, but this time because of the cold it took me over 11 hours to complete the loop. It was a long slow slog and I was happy to get home that night.

I am feeling better and plan on riding the same loop this weekend. If I’m not riding/feeling any better it may be a sign of over training and I will need to adjust my training plan.

The Y-foil is together and tuned up. It is a sweet ride and I think it will be the perfect addition to the RAAM arsenal. I have included a picture. It is not the clearest pic and when I get a chance I will post some additional shots on the pic page.

I went over the 12,000 mile mark for the 2006 calendar year. I think only 6,000 of them count, those are the ones going up hill. The other 6,000 are all down hill.

I saw three moose on one of my trips over Gonzo’s pass. That is only appropriate as Gonzo goes over Mt. Moosilauke. I was descending at about 30 mph and passed a bull and two cows standing next to the road. I didn’t really notice them until I was right next them. It gave me a little scare; I slowed down a bit (not too much) and decided to keep a better lookout.

There are just over five months left before the start of RAAM. Plans are progressing well. Most of the crew positions are filled; I have reserved the rental vans, hotel rooms and a camp site at the start line, and submitted my application.

The weather has been great and I haven’t missed a single scheduled workout. I have only ridden the trainer twice and both times it was raining and 40 degrees out. I don’t mind riding in the cold; I don’t mind riding in the rain, but I hate riding in the cold rain.

Well I guess that is about it. I have an 11 hour ride and a 7 hour ride scheduled this weekend. It looks like it will be a little chilly but dry so I am going to head back up to the White Mts.

Return to: http://teamwalker07.com/

1 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger John Henry said...

Thanks for the update. I'll be watching for your posts as you move toward your dream.

Living in Oregon and since it is winter, I have gotten used to riding in the cold and the rain. But, if it is cold, and raining and windy, well, that's another matter. :=)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home